Friday, March 30, 2012

B(r)easts of Nochlin






Way back before we had to have a blog for grad, I had my personal blog where I wrote about the readings for Stuart Steck's class(I think I used to care more). Anyway, if anyone is interested in checking those out- http://sequinnerdecanard.blogspot.com/

Musee d'Orsay, A Symposium- Linda Nochlin, Art in America, January 1988
sub- The Beauties and the Beasts: Outdoor Sculpture at the Orsay

Actually enjoyed the historical (by default) and hopeful analysis by Nochlin (not too trope, pretty general discourse). But what I really found interesting was the side bar we weren't assigned about the outdoor sculptures. If you want to see more of the detail shots of the 6 continents dressed as women, try wikimedia commons (( http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Valued_image_candidates/The_statues_of_the_six_continents,_Mus%C3%A9e_d%27Orsay. ))

I wonder if anyone has ever done a census of how many sculptures of women in Paris have their breasts bared. I'm sure it's more common than not. What is sort of impressive to me is how similar all the breasts are- very conical and set fairly low on the chest, perhaps with the exception of Africa's, which really just has extremely pronounced nipples and an odd substructure garment. In the era before implants, it's impressive to me that there was still such a homogeneous nature to idealized boobs.

Speaking of im-plants- That rhinoceros is traipsing through the botanical gardens! Those 2 plants do not grow in the same place. I also like that a monkey has caught the baby elephant. And what is that harrow doing under that horse?

Hope we can keep the sidebars coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment