Thursday, July 5, 2012

Home again, Home again

Aw!  It looks so small!  So, I'm standing on a stool, looking across the bar to take this cell-phone shot. And VERY HAPPY to finally have this work at the local "West Richland Beer and Wine Store."  Gotta love the name, right? Classic!  As is the incredibly well-lit atmosphere. This isn't a "bar."  It's a convenience store with a keg problem.

And that's the thing-  I'm proud to have this work sitting on top of the refrigerator.  Is that so wrong?  The first day I brought my cards in the tendress took one look and said "For the love of Beer?" without asking me the title. (which, for the original, was accurate.)  So, yeah, I found the only other Damien Hirst fan in town.

I've been trained, over the years, that no one likes a show-off. And thus, I have also taught myself not to start conversations about my art with sentences like "Similar to Damien Hirst's 'For the Love of God'..." But, apparently, that is what is expected.  I'm doing my best to wrap my ego (much thinner than people would think) around the concept that it is not only alright, but actually expected, for artists to name-drop their betters, shamelessly.  I've always thought it was incredibly alienating and gauche.  Shows what I know after 7 years of artschul!

No comments:

Post a Comment