Thursday, December 20, 2012

Maryhill and Blue Skies...




So, I shot this video a couple months ago on the way home from Portland. The small (by comparison to the windmills) pillared building in the foreground is Maryhill Museum of Art, which, as you may notice, is in the middle of nowhere... http://www.maryhillmuseum.org/  I actually didn't make it there this year, despite my best intentions. However, I did recently visit Seattle Art Museum's stolen Centre Pompidou show "Elles"-

Glad to see we've come so far. I mean, let's face it, they are still selling sex with this exhibit card, despite their over-representation of the Guerilla Girls. Maybe you don't have to be naked to get into the SAM, but they'll exploit awkward girls in bikinis as fast as the next museum. My favorite pieces have not made it to the Google Images as of yet, but here are 2 I would have thought about putting on the postcard instead- 





I thought the Dora Maar photographs were AMAZING.  She may have gone down in history as Pablo Picasso's muse, but she certainly earned the title. 
And what is not to love about a big, hunky piece of Bourgeois?  I actually really loved the nice, gnarly piece of wood that was underneath the marble- what a pedestal! The mark of a craftsperson, that I"m obsessed with what's underneath the skirt of the art work...
But, as I said, the pieces I will remember most clearly were not to be found on the internets. Sigh.  One was this lovely, intricate geometric abstraction that had clearly had another wet painting laid on top of it, and had been collected by the pompidou in lieu of taxes posthumously. Another was right above the Bourgeois and was all blue stripes and intricate curves and s  k  i  n    ... So fortelling of the aesthetics of male genius' like Tim Burton. Someday there will be an affordable catalog, I'm sure. On second glance... 

Little Nevelson in the background...

No comments:

Post a Comment