Monday, July 25, 2011

Kids Nowadays...



I'm going to have to pay closer attention to who suggests which artists I "have to" look at. Though this movie was incredibly made, and Chloe Sevigny is awesome, I don't think I'm interested in Larry Clark any further. The film was not only depressing, but yuck-tastic; using the audiences "yuck" response when it didn't have to. Scenes seemed to go on forever, and the metaphors got lost in the 40s and blunts. The initial shock of the age of the characters lost its effect very quickly. In that way it sorta reminded me of a perverse Bugsy Malone, but without the marshmallows. There's probably an interesting comparison to be written between Telulah and Sarah (Jody Foster and Chloe Sevigny, respectively). However, much in the way that "Drugstore Cowboy" made shallow the experience of adults, "Kids" made shallow the experience of children. It took less than 20 minutes for me to begin to watch the clock till the end of the film- I was already dead to it's shock, and just waiting for the inevitable.
I'm not sure how this relates to what I make. I have an interest in the empowerment of teenagers, and am interested in how they are portrayed in culture. I must have made the mistake of mentioning this. I had avoided this film for a long time, and though I can't say I'm unhappy to have formed my own opinion of it, I don't think I would have missed much by never having watched it.

No comments:

Post a Comment